Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My journey to the M.A.D

                                                       Buddha sculptures made out of books

                                                   A Lovely Love Seat made out of shoes


The "Second Life exhibition at the Museum of Arts and Design was defiantly worth visiting. I started my journey from the very top floor where the viewer gets introduced the designer itself in the action of making. Thus, this was my first unique experience at the M.A.D. As much as I wanted to stay longer and watch the designer make jewelry at the same time I was curious to find out about the rest of the Museum. 
List of the pieces I found very inspiring:

Terese Agnew "Portrait of Textile Worker", (The piece looked like a painting from far but as I got closer I realized the uniqueness  of the use of material. The whole piece was made out of clothing labels sawn together to create a portrait of a textile worker.)

Thomas Glassford "Running the numbers", (This piece reminded me of my childhood right away. It was a good example to our scale assignment. It was interesting to see one item transforming to something else unrelated.)

Do Ho Suh "Metal Jacket", (It was interesting to see a small accessory piece evolve in to a functional outfit keeping its theme of military.)

Courtney Smith "Psiche Complexo", (This piece absolutely cool. It was a perfect example of how one designer should be thinking about the pragmatics of the design considering the space available. It was inspiring to see a whole set of furniture stored in one closet.)

Paul Villinski "My back pages vintage vile records", (Just really pretty and relaxing when observed. The use of material again was very unique. I loved this eye candy piece.)

Stuart Haygarth "Spectacle", (The whole piece was made out of glasses transformed in to glamorous chandelier.)

Devorah Sperber "After the Mona Lisa" (I couldn't figure out what the thread spools represented to naked eye in the beginning. Eventually though, I figured out about the optical device placed in front of the frame and when I looked through the the piece got recognizable immediately. 

El Anastsui "Skylines", (It was hanged on the wall, creating a very organic and futuristic look. The entire piece was made out of flattened tops of cans, joined with wire.)

Overall, this was a spectacular experience and an atmosphere to be in. The entire exhibition gave me lots of inspiration. Just what I needed. Thank you Denise once again for your recommendation your inform....

No comments: