Monday, October 20, 2008

MAD

After spending weeks focusing on the misappropriation of objects, and lately finding myself a bit frustrated with it, The Second Lives exhibit helped me take a step back and see how much beauty can be created from simply everything. This concept, arguably, is the foundation of being a designer. Even more importantly it reminded me that designers must be acutely aware of the intricate relationships that exist between people and objects. One of the most literal interpretations of this relationship was Paul Villinski's "My Back Pages," which consisted of vinyl albums cut into the shape of butterflies, whimsically emerging from a vintage turn table. Most everyone recognizes the power of music to move, inspire and comfort us, and I am devastatingly attached to every piece of vinyl I own. I found Villinski's work particularly successful because viewing it felt a lot like listening to a favorite album.
Two prime examples of transcending the ordinary were Tara Donavan's "Bluffs" and Stuart Haygarth's "Spectacle." Donavan took a lot of buttons and some glue and created a gorgeous structure that glittered like the crystals children dream of finding in their backyard. Haygarth's large chandelier was made up of ugly eyeglasses. It was both humorous and stunning. The shadows that were distorted by the prescription lenses and colored by the clanky frames were so contrastingly delicate and magical. On the description of the piece it said that Haygarth picks a material and collects it until he has enough to make something, then plans the execution of this work. I was particularly inspired by this method of hoarding until one can be truly inspired.

1 comment:

Moira said...

I agree with the beauty of "My Back Pages." I also read that he listened to each record before he used it...so it had more a literal and metaphorical release.. I found that knowing that makes the whole project stronger.