Saturday, October 18, 2008

MAD MUSEUM

I have passed by The Museum of Art and Design countless of times, but have never had the time to go inside, so I was really excited to actually check it out for the very first time this past week. I did not realize the museum was as large as it is. I started on the sixth floor and worked my way down. When I got on sixth floor, I was surprised to see that the floor was a dedicated space for designers to work on their artworks and where outsiders could come into their studios to watch and talk to the artists. The day I went, an artist was working on his pottery. He was showing a few people how to start and work the clay. Although I absolutely loved the museum in its entirety, my favorite floors were the fifth and fourth floor where they showcased Second Lives, remixing the ordinary. One piece that stood out to me was Sound Wave by Jean Shin. This was a piece where the artist melted vinyl records and covered it all over a wooden armature and formed its shape by creating a ocean wave. This piece was really moving and I really appreciated how she literally created a shape of a ocean wave using the records where she really made a wave of sound. I also liked this piece because it was a personal piece as well where she collected records from her husbands grandfather to make this artwork. Looking at Sound Wave, it made me think of who might have listened to them, what kinds of experiences people had listening to these records, with who, and what it meant to individuals in the past. Like the artist says, it's the passing of time. It was a moving and touching piece that stuck with me. I will definitely revisit this museum again in the future.

No comments: