Sunday, October 19, 2008

MAD

After entering the museum and arriving at the 5th floor, I was astonished at how small the space was. I was obviously expecting/comparing the space to something the size of MoMA, but it didn't bother me until I had to tip toe around people to make sure I didn't trip and fall on the plastic spoon pyramid. But all in all, I was presently surprised and refreshed in seeing the design projects that were displayed at the MAD. They all seemed somewhat relevant to each other in that they didn't really have a historical context like pieces at the Met, but had more of a design concept of using different materials, not usually what they're used for in our daily lives, to portray an idea. For example, Nicholas Galanin took books and used laser cuts to sculpt faces out of those books. He used cultural contexts from the books like the Bible to to sculpt these faces.

Another piece that I was interested in was the computer software program by Xu Bing. As you type, it would show different symbols and signs that that word could be. I though this was an interesting study of signs and symbols that are both international and cultural.

Overall, the museum was a great trip. It was refreshing to see that design doesn't always have to have a functional purpose or be categorized as "modern". I think most of their pieces are inspirational and as a design student, I can really relate to and appreciate the work that was shown.

No comments: