Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Joyce Scott

There were many different works at the M.A.D that i thought were great concepts and works. Specifically, I thought that the chair made out of old vintage shoes with the matching artwork hanging just above was genius. But after looking through the entire museum, i ended up going back to a piece i saw with in the first few minutes i got there. I related to the piece in many ways. It was an intricately beaded neck piece called blu
e circles made by Joyce Scott in 90s. It was made up of many different geometric shapes, mainly circles. It was the first piece that caught my attention. I have recently began using these geometric shapes in my fashion and drawing work, almost in a tribal sense. I also have been beading, and i just finished a fairly large piece for myself, (it was kinda my first time beading this way) it was a woman's lower body with a wolfs upper body. It was a very tedious but fulfilling kind of work, so i really appreciate the crafts-work.


"Sewing becomes a mantra. It's just this flow you get in. Beading is just a needle and thread with a bead on it."

Joyce Scott is was born in Washington DC in 1948. She uses traditional techniques such as quilting weaving and bead work. She makes large scale pieces that have been woven or quilted together, her bead work consist of sculptures that have powerful messages.
One thing that did catch my attention when researching Scott is that one of her project consisted of containers. Containing is one of the tactics of raw foodist and one of the points of my code. Scott uses the idea of containing in a very originative way. The containers hold memories and life experiences.

"I'm making memory containers that can be held and caressed because memories are so diaphanous and ephemeral."



“This is my balance work, I can’t constantly speak of serious issues---who needs that every day? Making a fun or a beautiful piece is a different kind of meditation for me.” Artist quoted in “Joyce Scott: Migrant Worker for the Arts,” Ornament, 1992

-Brianna

No comments: