Thursday, October 23, 2008

my experience at MAD

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience at MAD. I was initially expecting it to be something like MOMA but it was much more "crafty" which I really liked. The first exhibition I viewed there was the second lives exhibition. More than anything, I was impressed by the innovative use of materials. It felt really inspiring and relevant to me because it encouraged me to think outside the box and has helped me with our current in-class design project. One of my favorite pieces from this exhibit was the metal jacket made out of dog tags. It seemed kind of ironic to me because the piece itself looked very "warrior-like" and dog tags themselves are representational of something warrior-ish. Another piece I very much enjoyed (for obvious reasons if yoiu know me well) was the chair made of shoes. Although it was impractical, I still found it to be a lovely piece and, yet again, an innovative way of using materials. If I could take one thing home with me, it would probably one of the chandeliers made out of recycled materials. It reminded me of the crain project that 2 fellow students in class were working on. Lighting is all around us yet we often do nothing decorative with it...This exhibit encouraged me to go home and paper mache my fixture! (Hey, its a start!)
Lastly, I was, if nothing else, quite amused by the wedding dress made of gloves. Although its totally impractical, it was nonetheless beautiful. It reminded me of a wedding dress I had once seen at another museum that was made out of feminine products (perhaps by the same artist??)

No comments: