Monday, September 15, 2008

empathy underground


In the mosaic lined tunnel of the Times Square subway station we approached a man playing guitar and singing. We waited for him to finish his song and than proceeded with the usual questions. His name was Victor, we learned he had been playing guitar for almost 20 years and in the subway for three. His primary motive was one we had not come across before- he played to spread the word of Jesus. Victor said he preforms at various stations everyday except Friday and Sunday which are reserved for church and prayer. He said the money he makes is just to get by so he continue his work spreading the word of the lord. Victor is the first performer we have met who believes this is what he was "chosen to do."
We asked if we could sit with him awhile as he played and he happily obliged. Initially I was a little uncomfortable (as I always am when any attention is being drawn to me). The stream of people flowed incessantly, but few gave more than a glance to the three of us. Victor was unfazed by the lack of acknowledgment from the crowd. It seemed rather funny that all I had to do to switch from a member of the MTA riding masses to a supporter and associate of Victor was decide to do so. I was still feeling awkward when a woman threw some loose change in Victor's guitar case and smiled at him. The genuine look of joy and thankfulness on his face was what really got me to begin to empathize. I realized that he was not thankful for this womans pocket change but for the fact that she was listening.
This lead me to recall a night I spent with my friend performing in the subway. This connection was also key because truthfully empathizing with a middle-aged Jesus freak is no easy feat for me. I remembered how excited I was with every dollar, every coin my friend Jonny received. The excitement was for the affirmation. It dawned on me that busking is one of the most direct societal examples of money equaling success. When you're playing for hundreds of people who don't acknowledge you, the slightest smile or bobbing of the head means so much.

No comments: