Monday, November 10, 2008

Design Dilemma

My proposal has come under scrutiny from most regarding the function and more specifically the placement for application of the product. This disconnect in terms of comprehension of functionality has occurred in part due to my inability to clearly communicate my agenda. With my product, I am attempting to create a platform for expression, communication or even just doodling. I see my role as a designer here as a facilitator of sorts. I am NOT the end user, thus to even attempt to predict its full range of usage and restrict it within any one dimension is a concept that I neither comprehend nor pretend compliance with. As product developers however, designers can at best attempt to predict some of the applications that their product may be subject to. My platform will be available in three sizes small, medium and large, with the traditional paper being optionally substitutable by suitable textile or plastics. The small will serve, as a substitute for notebooks and its most likely users will be children, seeing its obvious advantage as it has a rigid back in contrast to regular coloring notebooks and the like. This basically means that a child can simply place my product on his/her lap without needing an additional hard surface that a notebook will require. The medium size will may find application as notice boards or communication forums within where volume of information exchanged isn’t high. This may be in classrooms, homes and other institutions. It may also occasionally serve as a memento for a group where individuals may wish to collectively document an act such as culmination of trekking trip. The larger pieces may serve as billboards, installations or even practice space for artists who may wish to experiment on these rolls instead of using framed canvas as a cheaper alternative.
During critiques, a lot of applications for the product have been suggested by my peers some of which I have tried to include above at the same time reevaluating some of my own.

No comments: